Follow this page for news and updates as the City of Valparaiso responds to COVID-19. Updated 1-26-2021.
- COVID Community Call Recording with Dr. Maria Stamp 2-26-2021
- COVID Community Call Recording with Dr. Maria Stamp 1-25-2021
- COVID-19 Community Call Recording on Vaccinations and PPP 1-8-2021
- Porter County Vaccine Information
- Valparaiso Amplifies COVID Message and Restrictions 11-16-2020
- Governor Holcomb's Executive Order 20-48
- Porter County Health Department COVID Updates
- The 411 on PPE Presentation by Jon Daly, Assistant Chief Valparaiso Fire
- COVID-19 Update 7-20-2020
- Back on Track Guidance for Valparaiso's Neighborhoods 5-21-2020
- Most Recent Community Call with Mayor Murphy 5-18-2020
- City of Valparaiso Back on Track Plan 5-11-2020
- Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management (IDEM) Guidance for Flushing Water Systems
- Ivy Tech Campus Chosen for Advanced COVID-19 Testing 4-24-2020
- Nanhu District Donates Medical Supplies
- Mayor Murphy featured on Governor Holcomb's Briefing (video) 4-15-2020
- Mayor Murphy and Chief Balon on VPD's CARE Program (video) 4-10-2020
- Porter Regional Receives Donation of Masks from Sister City in China 4-3-2020
- COVID-19 Newsletter Updates 3-30-2020
- View a Community Update from Mayor Murphy (video) 3-27-2020
- City Hall Blood Drive April 6
- City Reminds Community of Governor's Stay Home Order 3-26-2020
- COVID-19 Update 3-18-2020
- Community Letter from Mayor Murphy 3-15-2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Indiana COVID-19 Call Center toll free number: (877) 826-0011
- Indiana State Department of Health Public Resource Page
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Resource Page
- Governor Holcomb's COVID-19 Announcements
- Indiana Stay-At-Home Executive Order FAQ
- Department of Workforce Development's Response to COVID-19
- Indiana Small Business Development Center @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Porter County COVID-19 Dashboard
- Mayor Murphy and Chief Balon on VPD's CARE Program (video) 4-10-2020
- COVID-19 Resources for Valparaiso's Neighborhood Groups (video) 4-9-2020
- Valparaiso Community Schools Free Meals
- Valpo Chamber Job Board
- Valparaiso Events' Carry Out Restaurant Directory
- Valparaiso Events' Shopping Online/Curbside Directory
- United Way of Porter County Resource Guide @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Business Community Call 5-18-2020
- Business Community Call 5-11-2020
- Business Community Call 5-4-2020
- Business Community Call 4-27-2020
- Business Community Call 4-20-2020
- Business Community Call 4-13-2020
- Business Community Call 4-06-2020
- Business Community Call 3-30-2020
- Business Community Call 3-23-2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|Department||Updates as of 2:30 PM 05/26/2020|
• All City of Valparaiso buildings are closed to the public until further notice.
|Public Meetings||• City Council will meet as scheduled on March 30.
• Board of Works will meet as scheduled on March 27.
• The City of Valparaiso is following the guidelines of the Center for Disease Control concerning public gatherings. Governor Holcomb in Executive Order 20-04 authorized the conducting of public meetings telephonically with only one member of the governing body physically present at City Hall. Other members may participate telephonically. At the date and time of the scheduled public meeting, any member of the public may call 717-275-8940 and use Access Code: 3179197 to participate. Please note that although public attendance is strongly discouraged until the threat of the Coronavirus subsides, the public is still welcome to attend the meeting at City Hall. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact Holly Taylor, Valparaiso Clerk Treasurer at 462-1161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Building Department||• Permits and inspections are still required. Inspections will be handled in the usual manner by calling 219-462-1161 and leaving inspection request voicemail. Permit applications shall be submitted via email to email@example.com with plans and required documents attached or mailed to Valparaiso Building Department at 166 Lincolnway. Permits will be issued by email. Invoices will be included in email and payable within 10 business days. Payment will be by mail only. Failure to pay invoice by date due will result in delayed inspections.|
|Community Engagement||• The Spring 2020 City Government Academy is postponed.
• The 2020 Neighborhood Grant application deadline is TBD.
|Fire||• Annual fire inspections and child safety seat fittings have been suspended until further notice.|
Please keep in mind the below is subject to change based on CDC guidelines and other new information. Additionally, specific restrictions will be applied to each stage and each activity or program based on further guidance.
• Parks and pathways are open.
• Playgrounds will remain closed until further notice.
• Park restrooms will open when activities are scheduled at those parks.
• Porter Health Amphitheater restroom will be open from 8am - 10pm; 7 days a week.
• Basketball courts will open half court at Tower Park on Saturday, May 23. All other basketball courts will open the week of May 25.
• All other hard surface courts (tennis and pickleball) will open on Friday, May 22.
• Sports fields will open on Friday, May 22 to practice only. Bleachers will remain closed.
• Sports games and leagues will begin no earlier than June 14.
• Fitness Equipment located at Fairgrounds Park will remain closed until further notice.
• Social gatherings of up to 100 people will be allowed on Friday, May 22. All indoor and outdoor rentals will continue to follow CDC social gathering guidelines.
• Banta Senior Center is closed until further notice.
• Central Park Plaza special events will begin on Tuesday, June 2 with Farmers Market.
• Rogers-Lakewood Park gate and park store will open on Sunday, May 24.
• Splash pad at Central Park Plaza will remain closed until further notice.
• Discovery Cottage Preschool is closed until further notice.
• Discovery Day Camp will begin on July 6.
• Creekside Golf Course and Training Center and Forest Park Golf Course are open with modifications. Please visit Valpo Parks Golf Facebook page for updates.
• Community Garden opened on Saturday, May 16.
• ValPAWraiso Dog Park opened on Wednesday, May 20.
• Valpo Velocity bikeshare is currently suspended.
• The Park Admin Office will remain closed to the general public through May 31 unless an appointment is scheduled. For general inquires related to registrations or scheduling, e-mail Jane Grennes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Start dates for future events and programs will be announced as they become available
Visit the Parks COVID-19 page for more information and their Back on Track chart.
|Police||• The Valparaiso Police Department has suspended fingerprint services and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspections at the VPD station.
• The VPD encourages online reporting for non-emergency calls for service or filing of reports that are not in progress.
• Police reports or vehicle crash reports are available at the Records Division, which will remain open Monday-Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
• Downtown parking enforcement has been suspended.
|Public Works||• Services will continue without interruption, including trash and recycling. We ask that residents call or email any questions or concerns rather than visiting the office. 219-462-4612 or email@example.com
• Porter County Waste & Recycling has announced closure of the composting site until further notice.
|Planning||• Planning and Transit Department staff are working remotely until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. You can still reach Planning and Transit Department Staff via City Hall's Main number, (219) 462-1161, by using their extensions. Please leave a detailed message with a phone number or email so we can address your concern.
• Meetings of the Board of Zoning Appeals, Plan Commission, and Site Review Committee will meet via web-conference until further notice. Public can join the web conference by using the link included on the agenda.
• The Planning department will continue to accept applications for the Board of Zoning Appeals, Plan Commission, Site Review and Zoning Clearance Letters. Please email your applications as PDF attachments to Sandy Biggs at firstname.lastname@example.org . You will also need to print and mail your completed application and send with the required application fee (made out to City of Valparaiso) to the Clerk- Treasurer's office:
166 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46383
The City of Valparaiso has announced that it will resume bus services to Chicago and the South Shore Line and maintain routes on its intracity V-Line as it works to restore services that had been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. “We’re pleased to do our part in helping people resume their lives following the height of the pandemic, and we’re taking steps to keep our riders and drivers safe as they move ahead,” said Beth Shrader, Valpo’s Planning and Transit Director. “In addition, we’re pleased to be offering all of our transit services at no cost to riders through July 1, 2020.”
Here are the details for Valpo’s transit services, beginning June 1:
• ChicaGo Dash Express Bus to Chicago will resume on June 1 offering two buses, with a maximum capacity of 25 per bus to allow for social distancing. As ridership increases, additional routes will be added to resume the service which formerly included five buses to and from Chicago daily.
• Chicago Dash routes will depart Valparaiso from 260 Brown St. at 6:00 am and 7:00 am. Departures from Chicago will start from Michigan and Randolph at 4:30 pm and 5:30 pm. Additional routes will be added as capacity increases, based on majority rider-requested times. Email DLorntzen@valpo.us for requested departure times.
• Transit Connect shuttle service to the South Shore Line’s Dune Park Station will also resume on June 1, providing service six times daily (including weekends) to coincide with South Shore service.
• V-Line intracity buses will continue to run its yellow, green and brown routes on the normal schedule, but suspend purple, red and orange routes indefinitely. Beginning June 1, yellow and green routes will add service on Sundays, from 9:15 am to 5:15 pm.
All Valpo Transit drivers will be wearing face masks and riders are encouraged to also wear masks. The City will offer masks to riders on the buses at no charge. For schedules and real-time updates, visit ValpoTransit.com. Questions may be submitted to Transit Manager Don Lorntzen at DLorntzen@valpo.us.
|Utilities||• The Utilities customer service center will be closed to walk-in visitors, but the drive-up window and telephone center remain open during regular business hours.
• VCU will suspend utility shutoffs and will not be assessing late fees at this time.