Follow this page for news and updates as the City of Valparaiso responds to COVID-19.
- Business Community Call Recording 3-30-2020
- View a Community Update from Mayor Murphy (video) 3-27-2020
- City Hall Blood Drive April 6 - Schedule Your Appointment
- City Reminds Community of Governor's Stay Home Order 3-26-2020
- COVID-19 Update 3-18-2020
- Business Community Call Recording 3-23-2020
- Community Letter from Mayor Murphy 3-15-2020 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Indiana COVID-19 Call Center toll free number: (877) 826-0011
- Indiana State Department of Health Public Resource Page
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Resource Page
- Governor Holcomb's COVID-19 Announcements
- Indiana Stay-At-Home Executive Order FAQ
- Department of Workforce Development's Response to COVID-19
- Indiana Small Business Development Center
- United Way of Porter County Resource Guide @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
|Department||Updates as of 9:30 AM 3/26/2020|
• All City of Valparaiso buildings are closed to the public until further notice.
|Public Meetings||• City Council will meet as scheduled on March 30.
• Board of Works will meet as scheduled on March 27.
• The City of Valparaiso is following the guidelines of the Center for Disease Control concerning public gatherings. Governor Holcomb in Executive Order 20-04 authorized the conducting of public meetings telephonically with only one member of the governing body physically present at City Hall. Other members may participate telephonically. At the date and time of the scheduled public meeting, any member of the public may call 717-275-8940 and use Access Code: 3179197 to participate. Please note that although public attendance is strongly discouraged until the threat of the Coronavirus subsides, the public is still welcome to attend the meeting at City Hall. If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please contact Holly Taylor, Valparaiso Clerk Treasurer at 462-1161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Building Department||• Permits and inspections are still required. Inspections will be handled in the usual manner by calling 219-462-1161 and leaving inspection request voicemail. Permit applications shall be submitted via email to email@example.com with plans and required documents attached or mailed to Valparaiso Building Department at 166 Lincolnway. Permits will be issued by email. Invoices will be included in email and payable within 10 business days. Payment will be by mail only. Failure to pay invoice by date due will result in delayed inspections.|
|Community Engagement||• The Spring 2020 City Government Academy is postponed.
• The 2020 Neighborhood Grant application deadline is TBD.
|Fire||• Building inspections and child safety seat fittings have been suspended until further notice.|
|Parks|| • With Gov. Holcomb declaring a two-week Stay-At-Home Order through April 6 to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we have updated our information on closings and cancellations:
· Parks and pathways remain open. Families will be able to go outside and take a walk, run or bike ride, but they should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people.
· Playgrounds are closed because they pose a high risk of increasing spreading the virus.
· Hard surface courts and fields are closed because they pose concerns regarding social distancing.
· The Park Office will be closed effective Wednesday, March 24 through Monday, April 6. For general inquires related to registrations or scheduling, email Jane Grennes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· All indoor and outdoor rentals are cancelled through May 9. COVID-19 related cancellations for indoor and outdoor rentals will be refunded in full, a house-hold credit issued, or fees can transfer to an open future date.
· All recreation classes are cancelled through May 9. Cancellations of future classes will be announced as decisions are made. Program participants will be refunded in full, or prorated, or a house-hold credit issued, depending upon the class.
· Banta Senior Center will be closed until further notice for members, public gatherings and rentals.
· Central Park Plaza Ice Rink is closed for the season along with Special Events being cancelled through May 9.
· Discovery Cottage Preschool follows the Valparaiso School Corporation’s schedule which means it is closed. The reopening of Discovery Cottage will be determined by the School Corporation.
· Kids Closet Sale on Saturday, April 18 has been cancelled. A reschedule date has not been determined.
· Day Trip to Holland Tulip Festival on Friday, May 8 has been cancelled.
· Creekside Golf Course and Training Center and Forest Park Golf Course are closed.
· Park restrooms will remain closed and any decisions on when the restrooms are opened will be made after considering all factors.
· William E. Urschel Pavilion restroom will be open from 8am - 10pm; 7 days a week
· Start dates for future events and programs will be announced as they become available.
|Police||• The Valparaiso Police Department has suspended fingerprint services and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspections at the VPD station.
• The VPD encourages online reporting for non-emergency calls for service or filing of reports that are not in progress.
• Police reports or vehicle crash reports are available at the Records Division, which will remain open Monday-Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
• Downtown parking enforcement has been suspended.
|Public Works||• Services will continue without interruption, including trash and recycling. We ask that residents call or email any questions or concerns rather than visiting the office. 219-462-4612 or email@example.com
• Porter County Waste & Recycling has announced closure of the composting site until further notice.
|Planning||• Planning and Transit Department staff are working remotely until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. You can still reach Planning and Transit Department Staff via City Hall's Main number, (219) 462-1161, by using their extensions. Please leave a detailed message with a phone number or email so we can address your concern.
• The Valparaiso Board of Zoning Appeals will meet for its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, March 31, 2020, at 5:30 p.m. (local time). No governing body members will attend in person but will instead attend remotely. The public is invited to attend by remote access. Please use the following Dial In number 1- 219-293-4307 and Access Code 577 656 057#. The Board of Zoning Appeals will hold a public hearing on VAR19-026 (Anton Baumann); VAR20-003 (Dan Kachaturoff) and, UV20-002 (Ron Knoche). If you have any comments or questions as to these or any other item on the Agenda, you are encouraged to send an email prior to the meeting to firstname.lastname@example.org. A recording of this meeting will be made available on the City’s website.
• Meetings of the Board of Zoning Appeals, Plan Commission, and Site Review Committee will meet via web-conference until further notice. Public can join the web conference by using the link included on the agenda.
• The Planning department will continue to accept applications for the Board of Zoning Appeals, Plan Commission, Site Review and Zoning Clearance Letters. Please email your applications as PDF attachments to Sandy Biggs at email@example.com . You will also need to print and mail your completed application and send with the required application fee (made out to City of Valparaiso) to the Clerk- Treasurer's office:
166 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN 46383
|Transit||• Effective March 25, 2020 the City of Valparaiso will be suspending the ChicaGO Dash and the South Shore Connect routes in and out of Chicago. There will be no service beginning March 25 until April 7th, 2020. For all details, visit valpotransit.com.
• V-Line routes yellow, green and brown will continue to operate as scheduled. The Purple, Monday-Saturday and the Friday Red Routes will be temporarily suspended. For all details, visit valpotransit.com.
• Fares for all services will be free through April 30th.
• The Zoom bus service to Chicago airports and South Bend has been suspended by Royal Excursion. For further information, visit https://royalexcursion.com/royalzoom.
|Utilities||• The Utilities customer service center will be closed to walk-in visitors, but the drive-up window and telephone center remain open during regular business hours.
• VCU will suspend utility shutoffs and will not be assessing late fees at this time.