Brush & Yard Waste
The City of Valparaiso provides curbside collection of residential leaves, brush, and yard waste. This separate collection diverts biodegradable material from the landfill, reducing landfill costs and ultimately providing beneficial organic garden material. The brush and yard waste is processed at the Valparaiso Compost Site for mulch and compost that is made available to residents.
- Residential (no contractor/landscaper-generated) brush and yard waste, including limbs, brush, bushes, roots, leaves, etc. are accepted. To learn more about seasonal leaf collection...
- No milled lumber, lattice, vinyl edging, landscape timbers or railroad ties.
- Place at curb or alley in biodegradable paper bags, bundles or containers.
- Brush is picked up on a continuous rotation throughout the city. The varying amounts of brush at any given time make it impossible to maintain a set schedule. Please set out brush and our brush crews will collect it the next time they are in your neighborhood. There is no need to request a pickup. Once all streets in a neighborhood have been collected, we move on to the next and can not come back for special pickups.
- During heavy seasons (spring, after storms, leaf season, etc.) it can take two weeks or more for us to collect brush from all routes. We appreciate your patience during these times.
- Residents also have the option to drop off brush at the Compost Site (2150 W Lincolnway) during regular hours.
- Large amounts or heavy items like stumps will be picked up by a grapple truck. Place items in area with no obstacles or overhead wires. Contact us at 219.462.4612 if you have items requiring the grapple truck.
- Grass clippings are not collected curbside. Read More...