Mulch & Compost
The City of Valparaiso works in conjunction with Porter County Recycling and Waste Reduction District to produce compost and mulch from the leaves, brush and logs collected by Public Works. These materials are taken to the Compost Site where along with yard debris from Porter County residents it is processed into mulch and compost. Diverting these materials saves landfill costs, as well as providing valuable landscape material to residents.
How to Get Mulch & Compost
Always verify the availability of mulch and compost first by calling Public Works at 219-462-4612
Self-Loading for any Porter County resident is free at the Compost Site (2150 W. Lincolnway). Please visit the PCRWRD website for site schedule.
Loading is available for any Porter County resident/business for the following rates:
- $10 per cubic yard - Loaded, residential
- $15 per cubic yard - Loaded, businesses
- Currently fees are for Compost Only.
- Loading is available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 9 am to 2 pm
- Payment with check or money order only can be paid at the Compost site or at the Public Works facility.
- $15 per cubic yard - Delivered, residential
- $20 per cubic yard - Delivered, businesses
- Minimum order for delivery is two yards.
- Delivery requires prepayment by check or money order and Permit for Delivery signed by the property owner. Please visit Public Works, 1855 Joliet Rd. 7:00 am - 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday to make arrangements.