Vale of Paradise The sight of rolling hills topped with trees and surrounded by rich, fertile farmlands in the Vale of Paradise inspired the use of green as the principal color of the first flag for the city of Valparaiso. The purity of white was used to signify a deeply religious city, once called the City of Churches. Gold, the trim color, indicated the quality of schooling, community life, and government the citizens of Valparaiso aimed to maintain.
Emblazoned across the flag's face is a large modern V relating the big Vs of Valparaiso: Valparaiso University, Valparaiso Technical Institute, and the Valparaiso High School. The V surrounds a circle, or hub, that symbolizes the city's status as the Porter County seat.
Symbols Encircling the hub of the flag is the name Valparaiso and the date of the city's conception, 1866. The four symbols within the circle and their meanings are:
The Valparaiso University Chapel, which stands for education