The City of Valparaiso began its annual curbside leaf pick-up on Oct. 18, 2021. Due to the warmer temperatures, there was a delay in leaves falling this year compared to 2020. To offset the delay, the City of Valparaiso asks residents to be mindful of the short time frame remaining, especially if snowfall is on the horizon which will complicate collection. Therefore, the City asks that residents make a strong effort in taking advantage of the weather and to move their leaves to the right of way (not the street) as leaf crews will be working additional hours and on weekends to complete collection by December 10, 2021.
The City Services Department’s Public Works division will post progress updates on the Public Works page of the City’s website, https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/1652/Yard-Waste-and-Leaf-Pickup. Some areas of the city take longer due to more trees and the weather also affects the collection efforts. To sign up for the progress updates via text and/or email notifications, please go to, https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/list.aspx.
In your neighborhood, please remember the following:
- Rake the leaves to the right-of-way “curb,” not onto the street.
- Placing leaves onto city streets results in street flooding, property damage and is in a violation of City ordinance 53.18.
- The City will not pick up loose leaf piles with any sort of debris (rocks, sticks, garbage, etc.) in them.
- Keep loose leaf piles away from obstacles, such as parked cars, mailboxes, etc. If there are obstacles, your door will be tagged.
- Please bag leaves in biodegradable bags after Dec. 10. Lawn bags will be picked up by brush trucks.
- For more information about leaf pick up, or other services of Public Works, visit the city’s website at https://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/163/Public-Works.
- If you have specific questions regarding your leaf service, please contact Valparaiso City Services Customer Service at 219-462-6174.