March 10, 2020 11:28 AM
VALPO TRANSIT-CHICAGO DASH,V-LINE AND SOUTH SHORE CONNECT COVID-19 PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES
Valpo Transit officials continue to monitor and address potential impacts from novel corona-virus (COVID-19) and are taking steps to further reduce the risk to our passengers from exposure to the virus.
As of March 4, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the majority of the American public are unlikely to be exposed to the virus at this time, and the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low. However, as a precautionary measure, Valpo Transit has implemented a heightened maintenance protocol, including increasing the frequency and intensity of our sanitizing procedures on Buses.
CDC-approved sanitizers and disinfectants with 24-hour effectiveness in killing COVID-19 will be in use every day on all frequently used surfaces. This is including, but not limited to, seats, arm rests, handrails , door frames, interior hand holds, Lavatory toilets and doorknobs.
In addition, we are reinforcing basic methods of protection with all Bus personnel and encourage passengers to utilize Hand wipes and sanitize on board the Buses for appropriate hand-sanitizing measures.
According to the CDC, you can reduce your risk of infection by doing the following:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick. The CDC states the virus spreads through respiratory droplets among people in close contact - within about 6 feet.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a bent elbow or tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
Valpo Transit officials are actively monitoring the CDC, the WHO (World Health Organization) and other agencies to coordinate our efforts to keep our passengers and employees safe.